Saturday 1 August 2015

Introduction

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this blog. I thought that after nearly 20 years of experimenting with makeup and spending thousands of pounds on skincare that I may finally be able to share what I've learned with others. I'm not a professional makeup artist (and absolutely do not claim to be one!) so I'm not going to focus on tutorials. I simply want to share with the world how I look after my skin, the products and routines I use and the quick fixes I implement to help me face the world now I'm a busy working mum.

A little about my skin: I started getting spots when I was about 12. At first just a few tiny ones on my chin. Over the next couple of years my facial skin dramatically changed as I developed acne. I can't tell you the amount of heartbreak I endured as I tried desperately to hide my breakouts, slathering on creamy, oily foundation during the day and using harsh topical creams, ointments and washes in the evening to combat my problem skin, probably only making things worse. 

Let me tell you now: I've had prescriptions for pretty much every acne treatment out there. I've tried practically every brand of skincare that claims to help blemished skin. I've had three courses of Roaccutane (that's the maximum anybody is allowed in the UK). The only thing that has ever worked to calm my skin down is this: getting pregnant. 

Now I have a nearly two year old (you can read about him here) and my skin is still better than it's ever been in my adult life. I still get spots regularly, but only one or two, here and there. Nothing like the acne I experienced when I was a teen. However, I do have quite a bit of scarring from my teenage days and also some sun damage which has left me with darker patches on my cheekbones and the bridge of my nose.

The products I recommend on this blog are based on my own personal usage. I'm not paid to endorse any products in any way and I would always recommend doing a patch test first if you can before jumping in the deep end with any new products. I would describe my skin now as oily, combination and sensitive. That's right - those with oily skin can be sensitive too! So the products I use are mostly to help me with my skin issues. I rarely use intensive moisturisers on my face for example! 

Anyway, I hope you find this blog interesting. I have certainly learnt a lot over the years and often learned the hard way. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions for products you'd like me to try. 

Thanks everyone!

Lisa x



No comments:

Post a Comment