Monday 3 August 2015

My Daily Routine

Ok so I'm going to do something I've never done before and post a picture of my face WITHOUT makeup! I want to show you the products I use pretty much everyday and, inspired by My Pale Skin's blog and viral video 'You Look Disgusting', I think it's important and healthy for more women to show themselves with bare skin. However, this post has taken me totally out of my comfort zone and I've angsted about posting this for a while. So, here goes:


Did the world stop turning? 
Did small children across the world cry?
Did old ladies fan themselves and faint? 

I certainly hope not! 

But yes, this is my 30 year old face. I've seen my fair share of breakouts, family struggles, heartbreak, some epic nights out and numerous sleepless nights raising my toddler. Given everything my poor old skin has been through I don't think I look too bad.

Oh and yes, I'd just come out the shower. That's when I tend to do my makeup because my hair is naturally slicked back off my face. I'll talk more about my morning skincare routine in another post, but this is what I look like after cleansing, toning and moisturising. 

I begin with Bare Minerals Original Prime Time primer (rrp £22). This gives my pock marked and scarred skin an excellent base to begin the Bare Minerals foundation routine. I then buff Bare Minerals Original SPF Foundation in Fairly Light (rrp £26) into my face, concentrating on my T-Zone first and sweeping out across my cheeks and jawline in light, circular motions. I use the Bare Minerals Full Flawless Application Face Brush for this (rrp (£24). I should also say at this point that I started using Bare Minerals just over a year ago in an attempt to reduce my son's eczema. I was concerned that the thick, creamy foundation I had been using was making his skin worse as I spent a large amount of time cuddling and kissing my newborn. His skin often flared up when someone wearing lots of cosmetics and especially perfume held him. So I made the switch and was really impressed with the amount of coverage I got (it's buildable), that my skin condition seemed to improve and so did my son's! 


Sorry about the moody shots... I don't really photograph well! I then use Bare Minerals Warmth All Over Face Colour (rrp £20) to lightly contour my face underneath my cheekbones, top of my forehead and jawline. I use the Bare Minerals Tapered Blush Brush (rrp £13.50) for this, just using gentle stroking sweeps. 


I then sweep Bare Minerals Rose Radiance (rrp £20) lightly onto the apples of cheeks. This again just adds a soft warmth and definition to the cheekbones, though the colour is very buildable so you can certainly use more if you want a more dramatic look. I also dab in very gently Clinique's Airbrush Concealer in Illuminator (rrp £19) under my eyes and into the dark parts of my eye socket. I just use my fingertip for this. 


I then blend a little of Clinique's Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in Bountiful Beige (rrp £17)over my lids. Sometimes I use this just on its own if I'm in a hurry / can't be bothered to apply loads of eye shadow. Most of the time I use it as a nice, creaseless base for some powder eyeshadow.


This is where I feel like my face finally starts to look like 'me again' - when I apply eyeliner! My go to eyeliner of choice is Clinique's Quickliner for Eyes Intense in Chocolate (rrp £16). It's not a pencil, but a very long-wearing creamy formula that glides very easily. And no need for sharpening as you can just twist it up. I love it and wear it everyday!


I then use a combination of colours from one of my numerous Too Faced eye shadow palettes. These colours were Heaven, Cashmere Bunny and Sexpresso (seriously - who comes up with these names?!) from the Natural Eyes palette (rrp £25). I love Too Faced eye shadows. The colours are gorgeous, their palettes always have a great combination of night and day looks and the shadows themselves are long wearing, easy to blend and buildable.


Nearly done! Just a slick of my favourite mascara - Clinique's High Impact Extreme Volume Mascara (rrp £19). I've tried many mascaras over the years but my skin is so oily that normally by lunchtime I find I'm constantly having to dab under my eyes to mop up stray black marks. This is one with real staying power and gives just a nice, natural long-lashed look. I'm so over the whole spider-eyes look and don't have the patience for falsies. If you want a good, solid mascara which just doesn't go bitty, blob or dry out quickly, this one is ideal.

Finally, one last buff with my Bare Minerals Full Flawless Application Face Brush with a little bit of Ben Nye's Luxury Banana Powder (rrp £22 - I got mine from eBay). It sets makeup like nothing else and just helps to even everything out and give a nice glow. 


I then just use a bit of lip balm on my lips and my brows are just too unruly for pencils and shaping. To be honest, I mostly use a teensy bit of leftover lip balm from my finger to slick my brows down. If I have time or I'm going out, I may make a little bit of extra effort with my lips and eyes but most days I just don't have time!

And that's me!

My whole everyday routine takes around 10-15 mins. I'm smiling in my last photo because I'm thinking - yep! I look OK! Now I'm ready to face the world! 

Seconds after I took this photo I had the crushing realisation that I had yet to pick out an outfit or dry my hair... And I was already 10 minutes late... And my toddler has just pulled off his nappy and was trying to climb out of his cot...

😩 

Lisa x




No comments:

Post a Comment